1. The win over Portland put St. Mary's at 4-1 in the West Coast Conference and a half game behind Gonzaga. This is the 7th straight year that the Gaels have begun conference play at 4-1 or better.
2. Three years ago Paul McCoy was a preseason All-Conference 1st Team player in Conference USA. So when he transferred to St. Mary's, he was expected to play a major roll. He sat out a year due to transfer rules, and then blew out his knee before he could play a game last year. Two and a half years after his transfer, he finally made his St. Mary's debut, and it was in his hometown. He played 3 minutes and had a rebound and an assist.
3. The Gaels had 15 assists. It was the 6th time this season that the Gaels have generated an assist on 65% or more of their made baskets, and the first time in conference play.
4. Portland was limited to just 10 made field goals on 43 attempts. Statsheet has 13-years of box scores available, on the previous low allowed for St. Mary's was 11.
5. The Pilots scored just 38 points. Their offense is now ranked 324th nationally (of 347 Division I teams). They've been held to 50 or below in four of five conference games. The last time the Pilots failed to score at least 40 in a game was 1989.